Monday, September 2, 2013

I'll Teach You to Love Review

I'll Teach You to Love

I'll Teach You Love  |  사랑을 가르쳐 드립니다  |  Sarangeul Gareuchyeo Deurimnida


Somehow I stumbled across this what I would call movie, starring Ki Tae Young as Kwon Tae Joon, an expert dating consultant along the lines of Will Smith in Hitch. Some major differences: he doesn't keep what he does a secret, but works for a dating agency. Tae Joon isn't looking for love, nor is he cynical about women. I haven't seen anything else that Kim Kyu Ri has been in. It has the cute curly-haired chef from Pasta (Hyun Woo) and a guy who's been in tons of dramas: Lee Sung Min.

I'll Teach You to Love

The basic gist of the story is: Kwon Tae Joon is the company's top dating consultant. What their company does is arrange chance meetings with women for men who would like to date them but might be, what you might say, awkward. The movie starts with one such situation, where a man and a woman get stuck in an elevator. She freaks out but he helps keep her calm by entertaining her, etc. He asks about going for coffee and she says no, but then she comes back and asks if coffee from a machine would be okay. Success!

I'll Teach You to Love

Tae Joon is a cold and unattached playboy with a cynical view of love. But he gets stuck with the company's first female client, Lee Jin Yi. She has had a 12 year secret love and she's hired the company for help in getting his attention. He reluctantly agrees to do it and, despite himself, finds himself falling in love with her.

I'll Teach You to Love

Parts of it are really funny and poor Jin Yi is so awkward, I cringed for her several times. The makeover session is great and the logic behind his advice was quite sound, such as "People are narcissistic by nature and like people who are like them." When she complains about having to wear heels and put in hair extensions, he tells her that it's the least that she can do to tell that man that he's important. While part of me bristles at this one, because dressing well should be to show you have respect for yourself, it's still good advice.

Ki Tae Young is great as Tae Joon. Kim Kyu Ri is believable as the awkward Lee Jin Yi. And their prospective target, Choi Chul Woo, is very charming. Also, there's a very young Sung Joon plays Jin Yi's love when he was a boy. I think it's even before his voice changed. So cute!

I'll Teach You to Love

I would definitely recommend checking out this movie. It's light and fun and has a great twist to the traditional ending. That ending is satisfying, as well. It's one that I plan on watching again.

1 comment:

  1. Hi may i know where did you watch this? Bc i cant seem to find any website to watch and dailymotion only has it without subs! Please help! Thank you'

    ReplyDelete