Monday, October 31, 2016

My Next Recaps: Sweet Stranger and Me, aka The Man Living in Our House

It's been a while since I did anything k-drama related. As mentioned in my previous post, I was not happy over how She Was Pretty turned out. But after almost a year, I have moved on. My recovery has been helped along by a several other k-dramas:

MoonlightDrawnByCloudsPoster Moonlight Drawn By Clouds and Jealousy Incarnate. These two I watched during a recent trip to Korea. Yes, I got to go to Korea for work and I loved every minute of it! It was really an interesting experience, watching a k-drama and not understanding what anyone is saying. Luckily, they replay the drama at least once during the week (with MDBC it was several times and a couple of marathons), so I was able to rewatch after downloading the subtitles. I have to say, I didn't need any subtitles to be stunned when Yeong cut his eternity bracelet in Episode 15. Or to react to Na Ri and Jung Won's kiss in Episode 14. But it did help me to understand what the heck Na Ri kept saying right before that and *why* Ra On was pointing a dagger at Yeong in the first place. Being in Korea for 3 weeks gave me a lot of insight as to why they do what they do in the dramas we watch. Like the U-turns that cars make. They actually happen in Korea *all* the time.

Splash-Splash-Love-PosterSplish Splash Love. After reading what girlfriday was watching over on Dramabeans, I decided to check out this drama that I had never heard of. Love it! The story of a girl who doesn't feel confident in her academic ability (especially in math). She freaks out before Korea's equivalent of the SAT/ACT exam and, after jumping in a puddle, travels back in time. She coincidentally appears as the king's advisors are doing a ceremony trying to get the spirits to bring some rain after a 3-year drought. She literally lies to save her life and becomes the king's advisor. Primarily on the subject of math. (Oh, the irony!) If you have an afternoon, it's an easy and enjoyable watch, since the series is less than 3 hours. Good things come in small packages.

W-TwoWorldsPosterNext: W - Two Worlds. Lee Jung Suk's most recent drama. In the drama, W is an insanely popular web series/manga written by the heroine's father. It's hero, Kang Cheol, has an epic origin medal. After coming behind, he wins an Olympic gold in shooting. Shortly afterward, a mysterious stranger enters his home and uses his gun to shoot his parents and both of his dongsaengs in the head. The Prosecutor for the case is convinced that Kang Cheol did it and soon Kang Cheol's on trial for murder. After 34 chapters of the manga, Oh Yun Joo's father has decided to brutally kill Kang Cheol off. Yun Joo gets pulled into the manga and she saves Cheol's life. Mysterously, these events become part of the webisodes, with Yun Joo becoming a character in Cheol's story. I really liked this one. The hero was cocky, not arrogant, and it didn't have the typical 'OTP hates each other when they first meet.' It's the first series I've watched with Lee Jung Suk as the lead (he was in Secret Garden) and he made Kang Cheol very likeable.

I Can Hear Your VoiceOnce W was over, I decided to watch I Can Hear Your Voice. It'd been recommended more than once, and since I liked Lee Jung Suk's other drama I thought I would give it a shot. I enjoyed it as well, a good noona romance. He played a sad puppy very well, especially after he lost his memory. For anyone not familiar with this story, his character, Park Soo Ha, watched the villian, Min Joon Gook, beat his father to death. Joon Gook almost kills him, too, but the heroine, Jang Hye Sung, catches him in the act. Hye Sung is also the reason why Joon Gook is convicted. He swears revenge and Soo Ha (about 8 years her junior) swears he will protect her. That's the last Soo Ha saw of her until present day, even though he'd been searching for her for several years. When Joon Gook is paroled, Soo Ha vows to keep his promise and protect Hye Sung no matter what the cost. Almost the typical k-drama, except Soo Ha developed the ability to read minds as a result of Joon Gook's attack, so that complicates things. I enjoyed Hye Sung's relationship with friend/rival prosecutor, Do Yeon. I find it annoying when the second lead is psycho evil for no reason and this show forwent that trope. The one thing that started to wear on me was Soo Ha's hysterical screaming towards the end of the show. Don't make me listen to him scream again, don't beat the sad puppy!

Pinocchio PosterAfter I Can Hear Your Voice, I decided to watch Pinnochio. I really liked this one, for many reasons: (1) it was about journalists and I've studied journalism. I liked it's comment/indictment of the sensationalism in the media while pointing out that most journalists are actually trying to do things of substance. (2) There was a good backstory, so I didn't mind the first love cliche, because that first love was just a love that pined for 10+ years. (3) Park Shin Hye wasn't annoying. I really like Park Shin Hye and her interpretation of her characters, but every drama I've seen her in, I've found her annoying. The shuffling feet in You're Beautiful, the excessive moping in The Heirs. The doe eyes as she suffers. Annoying. Beyond that, she had actual chemistry with the hero! (4) The secondary characters were fun/interesting. They didn't feel like props for the story. (5) There wasn't ever any question of who was going to get the girl. This may not seem like much, but after my bad case of SLS recently, I appreciated not having that be in question. Even though both second leads likes the OTP, the OTP only had eyes for each other. And the second leads didn't do anything shady to try and get the object of their affection. (6) The antagonists (villians) were 3-dimensional. They did despicable things, but had a reason other than just selfishness behind them. (7) The last episode didn't feel like they were rushing to cram everything at the end. Most of the time, it feels that way, but this one, it felt like a natural conclusion giving you a glimpse of what their life was going to be like in the future. Side note: While I was watching Pinnochio, I commented to myself at how well and easily both Shin Hye and Jung Suk cry (and Jung Suk's tears seem to always fall out of his right eye).

The Man in Our House Poster

This leads me to The Man Living in Our House. I've liked Soo Ae since I watched her in Mask and Kim Young Kwang since D-Day. Put them together and, of course, I am going to watch the drama. The teaser didn't hurt things either and made me excited for the show. So far, I haven't been disappointed and love both Na Ri and Nan Gil so much. Since the show just started, I'm not going to be able to marathon it. I may or may not regret that decision. (You know how those k-drama cliff-hangers are.)

No comments:

Post a Comment